As a practitioner I am passionate about what chiropractic does. Sometimes I'm very
good at expressing it, and sometimes I think everybody already knows about all the benefits of chiropractic care. Here is for those times I assumed you all knew.
Did you know that a recent study on chiropractic shows that when we adjust the spine, we significantly decrease activity in the prefrontal cortex. "The study showed a change in brain function by almost 20% on average". The prefrontal cortex is the area in the brain where higher learning and cognition happens.
"An effect on the function of the prefrontal cortex could explain many previous research results such as improvements in sensorimotor function relevant to falls-prevention, better joint position sense in both upper and the lower limb, improved muscle strength in lower limb muscles: better pelvic floor control, and better ability to carry out mental rotation of objects."
Looking at the quote above makes me think of a few key groups that would benefit from a chiropractic adjustment:
1. Athletes who want better strength, particularly lower limb strength. I'm thinking footballers, soccer players, ballet dancers, cyclists, gym junkies and the list could go on.
2. The ageing population: this group is most likely to fall into the fall prevention category. Fall prevention is important in the elderly as we know that a fall can be fatal, not because the fall kills, but because the infections caught in hospital can be fatal and rehabilitation is also extremely difficult.
3. Injury prevention: the reason for joint sprains, repetitive stress injuries such as carpel tunnel, frozen shoulder or any type of tendinitis results from long term bad habits (called a "creep injury") in which the body doe not signal back to the brain on where it is in space, and what it is doing, as a result of better joint position sense, these injuries can be improved and helped. (That is why at Balanced for Life, we love working on feet, ankles knees, hips, wrists, elbows, shoulders and TMJ, because it makes such a difference to every function)
4. Women who have given birth or ageing women- Yes, you ladies all want a better pelvic floor. Those cheeky kids of yours helped make that pelvic floor somewhat weaker. Exercises can help and are necessary but the study suggests improvement to the pelvic floor was notable after chiropractic adjustments.
5. Anyone who needs to use their brain- Totally being a smart alec here but I'll let this quote explain
"This is solid scientific evidence that adjusting the spine changes the way the prefrontal cortex of the brain is processing information from the arm. It demonstrates we change the way the brain works and shows that spinal function impacts brain function. One of the most interesting things about the changes we observed was that the prefrontal cortex is responsible for behaviour, goal directed tasks, decision making, memory and attention, intelligence, processing of pain and emotional response to it, autonomic function, motor control, eye movements and spatial awareness.”
So there you have it folks. That is why you may feel more balanced, more alert, stronger and smarter after your chiropractic adjustment, and no you weren't making that up :)